As more and more people use smartphones and other mobile devices, the frequency of making purchases and finding new businesses via mobile Internet has increased significantly.
If this trend continues, which professionals affirm will, we can expect more people to search the web on their mobile devices than desktop computers by 2015.
- As of 2013, 55% of all mobile users have a smartphone. Since at least 91% of adults worldwide own a cellphone, this means that half of these people use smartphones.
- Out the 70% of all shoppers who brought their smartphones with them to shop, at least 62% went to the company’s mobile website before visiting the store.
- Mobile coupons are expected to increase within the next year because of the sheer amount of people who now use smartphones. By 2014, experts predict there will be over 53 million mobile coupon users.
- Over 65% of shoppers in the United States visit business websites before making in-store purchases. Most of these users would like to use a touch screen device while in the store to help make purchasing decisions.
- Thanksgiving and Black Friday sales have seen more activity after consumers browsed mobile websites for deals.
- Smartphone users, at least 74%, have used their phones to get directions to store locations and other business information.
- 50% of smartphone users have accessed GPS location applications in order to find businesses.
- Close to half of all smartphone owners access mobile websites to find local stores to visit, while a little under half use mobile websites to find reviews of local businesses.
- By the end of 2013, it’s estimated that there will be more mobile devices worldwide than people.
- More people make purchases via business mobile websites when compared with mobile social media accounts.
- Close to 80% of smartphone users stated that they would like to have more business information optimized for mobile-friendly viewing.
- Half of all American shoppers feel that mobile websites and product information has made them more informed than in-store associates.
- Almost all cellphone users have used their phones to locate new local companies and in turn, many went on to become new customers.
- Along with purchasing decisions, cellphone users check email, listen to music, and watch videos via their phones.
Luxury Daily: US Consumers Crave In-Store Digital, Mobile Touch Points:
eMarketer: Mobile Spurs Digital Coupon User Growth:
Pew Internet: Smartphone Ownership 2013: http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2013/Smartphone-Ownership-2013/Findings.aspx